Friday 26 October 2012

Via Mercanti, 188 Augusta Ave.

Ahhhh, finally, a pizzeria owned and run by Neapolitans. I'm excited.  And even better, our server is from the same quarter where I lived in Naples--Vomero.  It should be a good night for pizza.

The space for the restaurant is really nice--open concept. The music has been kept to a low level, as the noise in the space from everyone talking is really loud and bounces every where. I actually couldn't hear my dining companions.

My companions had the house greens salad, which consisted of radicchio, tomatoes, oranges and lettuce.  It was lightly dressed with olive oil and vinegar, and quite refreshing.

The bread was wonderful--warm, covered in rosemary and flavourful.  So far, so good!

The pizza arrived, and sadly was auctioned off at the table. I opted for the classic Margarita pizza. And was disappointed.  The crust was so soggy from the mozzarella, (not Bufala, but fiore di latte, which tends to be wetter), and what was sopping wet was hard (the actual crust of the pizza was like lead).  I couldn't roll the slice into a funnel to eat it in the traditional style.

No oil had been poured onto the pizza.

But worse, oh much worse, was the fact that the sauce had no flavour. Zilch.  It was like having cheese and bread for supper.  Some salt might have fixed this situation, but I was too scared to offend anyone by asking.

I hate to say it, but I give this place a 4/10.


No comments:

Post a Comment