Tuesday 21 August 2012

Pizza e Pazzi, 672 St. Clair Ave West

At last! I'm eating at a pizzeria that has been certified Verace Napoletana.

Pizza e Pazzi has two locations, one on St. Clair by Wychwood Ave, and at  1182 St. Claire Ave. West, by the venerable Marcello's.

Pizza e Pazzi was born of a love story--the owners met on a beach and some how decided that they would open a Verace Napoletana. Sounds good to me!

I can't seem to find too much information on who the pizzaoilo is, but our waiter actually is Italian (he said "stop-ed", always a sign that the person is Italian when they are pronouncing the "e" in the past tense.  I'm saddened by this. Who is back there, cooking my za?  Did they take the course? If it's someone's Nonna, then fine, but if not, I would really appreciate a bit of information on the chef.

The interior of the Wychwood location is a bit bland. There is nothing original or different about it--then again, it's clean and the staff are cheerful and friendly (which in Toronto, is a change!).  Unfortunately, we are seated at the tippy table (quickly corrected by the hostess), and the AC is cranked to Arctic.  Sadly, there is also bad Italian pop music being played, which means that as our evening goes on, we're forced to raise our voices over the music.

We start off with walnut bread, and some unidentifiable tapenade. I think one of them might have been pumpkin. It's ok, but I'm not going to write about it, because it doesn't deserve to be written about.

Our  suppli arrive.  At first, we thought they were expensive, but we receive two rice balls, so that was a pleasant surprise.  They aren't as lightly fried as Falasca, but they are still excellent.

Our beer choices are Czechvar (which was yummy) and Peroni.  We skip on the Peroni, as previously discussed--Italian beer--not so good.

Our pizzas arrive promptly.  They are the perfect size, slightly smaller than the plate, charred on the edges, and what pleases me most is the olive oil, poured on top.  I've had to ask at other pizzaerias, so not to be forced to ask here makes me happy.  It's the little things in life, isn't it?  Pizza e Pazzi also offers bufala mozzarella standard on their Margherita, instead of charging extra for it.

The sauce is sweet and tasty, and I love the fact that I can roll the pizza up into a funnel .

We were interested in dessert, but were too full to sample.

Out of 10? I give Pizza e Pazzi a 9.5.








No comments:

Post a Comment